In addition to unlocking treatment options for patients who otherwise may not have been candidates for traditional radio therapy, Methodist Hospitals’ TrueBeam technology is fast and precise. Its speed and precision means shorter treatment times, which leads to less interruption of patients’ daily lives. The TrueBeam system is designed with patient comfort in mind, and employs sophisticated engineering to enhance the patient experience.
Fast and precise
- Methodist Hospitals’ TrueBeam technology makes it possible to deliver fast, accurate image-guided treatments within just a few minutes per day.
- With advanced imaging, the TrueBeam system allows Methodist Hospitals clinicians to deliver treatment more accurately by enabling them to “see” the tumor they treat and target tumors with submillimeter accuracy.
- Many tumors in places like the lungs move when you breathe in and out. The TrueBeam system includes a new “respiratory gating” option for synchronizing beam delivery with respiration. This helps maintain accuracy, as the system synchronizes its targeting whenever tumor motion is an issue, for example during lung cancer treatments.
- The precision of Methodist Hospitals’ TrueBeam system is measured in increments of less than a millimeter. This accuracy is made possible by the system’s sophisticated architecture, which synchronizes imaging, patient positioning, motion management, beam shaping and dose delivery, performing accuracy checks every ten milliseconds throughout the entire treatment.
- Patients can be exposed to less X-ray dose with the TrueBeam system. Additional imaging functionality provides the opportunity to use 25 percent less X-ray dose compared to earlier Varian imaging technology.
- The system’s imager generates 3-D images of the tumor and surrounding anatomy 60 percent faster than was possible with previous technology.
Built with comfort in mind
- Fast treatment time can minimize interruption of patients’ daily lives.
- Three closed-circuit television systems with two-way audio mean patients can be in constant and continuous contact with the therapist running the machine. It’s almost as if the therapist is in the room with them.
- Enhanced technology allows for music to be played during each treatment, helping to create a more soothing environment.